Aliga Microalgae™ seeks a temporary replacement chief biologist/bioprocess engineer
Aliga Microalgae, the leading microalgae production company in Denmark, is looking for a temporary replacement for their chief biologist who will be on maternity leave. You should be an biologist or bioprocess engineer with experience from industry and will be responsible for the company’s production laboratory at its facility in Hjørring, Denmark.
From November 2020 until August 2021 we are seeking a replacement for our chief biologist.
The position includes many interesting tasks involved in the production of microalgae by fermentation, its planning, preparation and monitoring.
Your main task will be to lead a small team of skilled and motivated technicians and scientists and organize/maintain the work flow in the laboratory. It is expected that you will fulfill practical tasks as culture work under sterile conditions, preparation and operation of fermenters as well.
Your responsibilities range from seed culture preparation to monitoring of production scale fermenters. Apart from routine and standardized production tasks you are expected to design, set-up and perform experiments to improve product yield and quality, from small to large industrial scale. You are required to make decisions and are welcome to bring new ideas to the table.
In the role as chief biologist/bioengineer you will bring a deep understanding of microbial physiology and bioprocess engineering to maintain successful production and implement new findings from the lab on the industrial scale.
Prior experience with algae cultivation is not required, but of advantage.
Your areas of responsibility:
- Set-up and operate lab-, small- and industrial-scale production fermenters.
- Lead technology transfer and scale-up at commercial scale according to the company’s goal
- Use technical knowledge to identify, troubleshoot, and assist with the resolution of process problems
- Manage team of highly motivated scientists and technicians from regular tasks to mid/long term projects
- Documenting experiment execution and analysis using an electronic lab notebook, batch record, and/or protocols
- Write documentation including project reports and SOP’s
- Organizing technical data, provide oral presentations or technical reports to communicate results
- Training of existing and new staff.
We expect you to have the following qualifications:
- A master degree within Biotechnology,, Biochemical Engineering, Fermentation, or related engineering or life science discipline
- Previous experience in running, maintaining and troubleshooting of bench-scale and industrial scale microbial fermenters
- It will be an advantage if you have experience in optimizing fermentation conditions for high-density cultures and fed-batch cultivation
- Strong understanding of biochemical engineering principles, bioprocess development, fed-batch fermentation processes and feedback control systems.
- Understanding of engineering principles such as mass balance, mass transfer, fluid mechanics and reactor design preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to discuss complex technical concepts with a variety of audiences
- A genuine technical interest and curiosity
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, self-motivated, adaptability, and a positive attitude
- Fluency in English, written and verbal
Apply for position : Latest by 15th of September 2020 by email to email@example.com marked “Application chief biologist”.
Start of position : 1st of November 2020
Aliga Microalgae™ was founded in 2016 with the vision to be one of the leading European producers of sustainable microalgae-based ingredients and products for the Feed, Food and Dietary Supplement markets globally. In 2018, the company was awarded a finalist place in the prestigious Ernst & Young’s “Entrepreneur of the Year” competition in the category Start-Up as well as it was nominated Entrepreneurial Company of the Year in its home city of Hjørring, Denmark.